As mentioned in my recent post "Works In Progress" I've been working on some cushion covers (as well as other things) for my friend Sasha.
Well....On Tuesday I finally gave Sasha his completed cushions back.
Not only was I thrilled that he was happy with them, but a little relieved that I had actually finished them!
I don't know if you find this... but sometimes when people ask me to make them things, I cringe at the idea. Mainly because of the amount of work it takes (and they don't always realise), but also because of the responsibility of creating something that the recipient is going to like.
Sasha asked me to make some covers for some old cushions that he had. Being the great friend that Sasha is to me, I was more then happy.
He wanted some simple yet fun cushions in a blue or grey. Sounded easy enough, so I got to work on them.
Now the reason I was so relieved to finally give these cushions to Sasha, was because this project could have been completed within a week or two. But alongside other commitments I had to work on, it turned out taking 4 months before I finally got around to finishing them!
Sasha asked about his pillows on a couple of occasions and I kept saying "they are almost ready". He waited another few weeks, then asked again...."they're almost done"
Finally the week before last, they were actually "almost done". I finally got them finished!!! "Phew!" (I say as I wipe my brow).
For Sasha's cushions I chose some deliciously soft Rico Baby classic dk. An acrylic blend that comes in some great shades. I was actually looking for a thicker yarn, but decided on this purely because of the colour.
To make up for the yarn being a little thinner than I had wanted, I wound three balls together and made one luxuriously thick ball to work from.
Isn't that a pretty sight. One perfectly wound ball of yarn, ready to be worked up into something special.
Yarn at the ready and a nice thick crochet hook (Size 9) with cable attached and I was ready to start this project.
I needed the cable as I had decided to do (once agin) some Tunisian crochet. I decided to use the Tunisian simple stitch, as when worked up in rows this stitch creates a lovely dense fabric, that isn't as holey as your average crocheted material.
I made four rectangular pieces. Two for each cushion, making up both sides of the case.
I single crocheted both pieces together, making sure to leave one end open.
On the end that I had left open I sewed (by hand) a zip into the cushion cover, making it nice and easy for Sasha to remove the cushion inserts if he needed.
Once done, I settled upon some big shiny red buttons to add a little something special to the simple blue cushion covers.
I sewed the buttons on, with nice chunky stitches.
All finished! I'm hoping they are masculine enough, as I can get a little carried away with my crochet work. I figured simple was the key to this project and I think that I succeeded in that.
Sasha was very pleased when I gave the to him. I was very happy to finally have something to show for his long and patient wait.
Happy Easter weekend lovely people!
You can read an updated and revised version on our new blog.